Friday, April 29, 2011

It's like I'm in a weather bubble


I'm from Tennessee, and our Springs tend to be a little violent. I remember huddling in school hallways throughout my childhood because of tornado watches, and it was usually during March, April, or May. Anyone watching the US news lately has seen images of the destruction in Alabama ( a state just an hour and a half away from my hometown) and I've heard about a few close calls in Tennessee as well. In May, Nashville will mark the one year anniversary of The Flood of 2010. I'm used to stocking up on non-perishable food items and candles at this time of year.

And then I moved to Saudi Arabia. Apparently the spring in Saudi is fairly calm.

And by calm I mean HOT AS HADES!! It's not even 9 am right now and it's currently 86 degrees and climbing. The projected high for today is 97. IT'S GONNA BE ALMOST 100 DEGREES OUTSIDE AND IT'S NOT EVEN JUNE YET!

Most of you are going to be saying, "Lady, you're the one that decided to move to Saudi Arabia. You knew it is a desert. Stop complaining."

To that I say I'm not complaining. Just observing. ...and yelling.

From what I understand, it only gets hotter and dryer from now on. The Mister and I arrived at the end of last summer, and I couldn't bare be outside for longer than a few minutes before I was sweating through my black abaya. Anyone who knows me know that I'd much rather be hot than cold but h'oh boy, I'm not sure if it's ready to be THIS hot THIS soon.

It's just so odd to me to not have to watch the skies for funnel clouds of have to review weather evacuation plans with my students like I've done for my entire life. My biggest weather concern right now is getting a hijab tan line around my face if I wait outside for the Mister too long after school. I empathize with my fellow Southerners cleaning up after the recent storms, and at the same time I feel like I'm trapped in some sort of bio-dome where the weather is controlled by some sort of Truman Show producer trying to punish me for escaping utopia.

Vicariously yours,


No comments:

Post a Comment