Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Copy and Paste

I think I was an anthropologist in a former life. I find other cultures so fascinating. Even though it can be infuriating sometimes, coming to know the quirks of Saudi culture is by far my favorite part of living here.

I'm loving learning the language almost as much as I'm enjoying learning about the people. I'm sad that we only have Arabic class once a week, but I'm so glad that our cluster secretary humors me every Wednesday and gives me another lesson after my last class is dismissed. If I didn't know better, I'd think she enjoys sharing her language with me. Being the nerd that I am, I enjoy occasionally helping her with English words.

Today, however, she just might have updated my English dictionary a bit.

She was showing me pictures of her siblings and other family members. Her brothers and sisters all resemble her so much, I would say they are carbon copies of each other.

She showed me how outdated that phrase--"carbon copy"--is.

"They are a copy and paste of me," she said with a smile.

Times have changed, and I'm afraid I've been left behind with some of the cool lingo.

Vicariously yours,




No comments:

Post a Comment