Monday, October 22, 2012

Seen on my morning commute, entry #2

My morning commute to work is very short, but often very entertaining. There are a few things I know I will see for sure: lots of stray cats, school children running to the buses that impatiently honk outside their apartment buildings, neighbors lighting up their morning smoke, and trash. Lots of trash.

But one of the more perplexing items of trash that I have consistently seen on my commutes to and from school here in Kuwait: the used syringe.

This was a particularly fresh specimen.
Here's the thing: all these syringes can't possibly come from the same person...at least, that's what I hope. I have seen several types of syringes in more than one spot. And I'm not trying to suggest that these syringes are used for nefarious things like heroin or worse. Sure, diabetes is a problem in this region, but you would think a diabetic would have been educated on how to properly dispose of biohazardous materials such as this...at least, that's what I hope...

When I shared almost this exact train of thought with someone, they politely let me finish my rant and simply replied, "Juicing." As in steroids.

It's true, Arabs love them some rippling biceps. But shooting up 'roids in the dusty lot across from your apartment building? Really?

I have no idea what the story is behind these syringes. I keep hoping I might stumble upon somebody in the act of using them so I can finally figure out the answer. While the source of these syringes remains a mystery, they continue to be a regular part of my morning commute to work so I knew I had to share this random part of my life in The Sandbox.

Vicariously yours,


No comments:

Post a Comment