Friday, November 12, 2010

Desert Driving

The hubs, a housemate and I hit the road yesterday morning. Destination: Dubai. We're on a week and a half vacation from school because of the Muslim holiday Eid al Futr. We decided to take advantage of the time off and see some more of Arabia.

...SIXTEEN HOURS LATER, the hubs and I arrived at the apartment where we will be staying while we're in this particular Emirate. This city is sooo hard to navigate, the map we bought is total crap, and the SIM card we bought for my cell phone decided to putz out on us at the most inconvenient times!

The 10 or so hours that it took us to actually arrive in Dubai would normally make me groan with I-don't-wanna-be-in-the-car-anymore-Mom brattiness, but because we'd never been on a road trip in Saudi Arabia before, the desert portion of our trip flew by! Even though all we saw was just sand with the occasional bedouin-guided herd of camels, I couldn't get enough of the view out my window.

Here are a few shots (they got uploaded out of order):


This is the Burj Khalifa. The world's tallest building. We did a few circles around it trying to find our way back to the highway that would take us to the apartment.

Some sand and rock...standard Saudi Arabia.

At the border...it took us another hour at the Arrivals Hall at the border before we could actually BE in the UAE.

There they are! The first camels I've seen since arriving in KSA! (that's no lie!)

This was the view for most of the trip.


Today we venture out to the Dubai Aquarium and some much needed time with an American bookstore. I'm giddy as a school girl!

Vicariously yours,

No comments:

Post a Comment