Friday, May 10, 2013

No One Wants to Play School with Me!

It's getting to be that time of year. We've reached the last few weeks of school and final tests are being administered, projects are being submitted, and end-of-the-year paperwork needs to be organized. This past week was REALLY overwhelming with all those responsibilities on top of every day life that just refuses to take a break during the busy times. I had several days where I thought, "If I could just have another couple sets of hands, I could get all of this done so quickly!"

At home, this would be the time of year that I would put out a call to see if I could sucker any friends into playing Teacher for a day. There's always at least one. People who don't teach think it's so much fun to grade tests! Rifling through filing cabinets and throwing out old worksheets or dusting off classroom bookshelves seems to be like a fun session of make-believe for those who don't have to do it every day. And I willingly gave my friends the opportunity to hearken back to the old days of pretend at our dining room tables when we used to drill our stuffed animals on the i-before-e rule. (Admit it. We all did it.)

But HERE! Here all my friends ARE teachers! They all have their own classrooms to organize, tests to grade. It's a real jerk move for me to whine and say, "I have so much to do, would you mind helping me grade these tests really quickly?"

Ain't nobody got time for that!

I guess this is one teensy weensy downside to living overseas in a teacher expat community.

Vicariously yours,


No comments:

Post a Comment