Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I'm a little behind on this observation. Bear with me.

This morning I woke up, took my shower and, as is my habit, put on my make up in the living room while watching TV. Usually I watch the morning news. It helps me keep up with what's going on in the world and I find that I actually put my make up on faster with background noise than with silence. This morning, however, I turned on the TV, and the Oscars were on. So I skipped the Al Jazeera in favor of the Academy.

There have been lots of advertisements on the Fox channel about the Oscars live broadcast, so I wasn't surprised that they were on. What did strike me a little while into my day was that just 30 minutes before I was waking up to start my day, Californians were settling in for dinner and the Academy Awards.

I know this should not be news after living in Saudi Arabia for 5 months. It's still bizarre.

The time difference means we're often the first of our family and friends to hear about the international news like the earthquake in New Zealand, the protests in Egypt, and Kate and William's latest wedding plans.

The time difference also means that Skyping with family is hit or miss, and we have to either stay up ridiculously late at night to watch live broadcasts like the Oscars, or we have to wait until the next day to download our favorite shows after they've broadcast at home.

I have no earth-shattering observations or funny stories related to this fact. Just letting you know that it's finally it me.

That's all!

Vicariously yours,



No comments:

Post a Comment