Sunday, June 12, 2011

Poolside reading...

The Mister and I went shopping this weekend. It was a productive day of buying surcies for family and friends. We were able to find a silver shop and found some great pieces. While we were there, we also were given a few Islamic tracts.



I'm no stranger to religious tracts. As a waitress in high school, I frequently got tracts instead of tips from the Christian crowd. Definitely not an effective way to reach their audience as I was usually pissed off at getting stiffed. I suppose they thought the secret to eternal life was gratuity enough.

I've got to give it to the shop owners, though: they know their demographic. This silver market is a favorite of the expats, so a lot of the patrons of this particular store are not Muslim. I'm sure they were super encouraged when we gladly took the tracts as we were paying for our jewelry finds.


Before I give my parents further palpitations, let me clarify: moving here and being surrounded by Islam has, if anything, solidified my faith as a Christian. I only write this blog post because the titles of the tracts were very intriguing, and I was impressed with how non-aggressive this guy was with his approach. The hubbins and I both knew that moving to Saudi Arabia would result in a few attempts by the locals to convert us, and this guy felt he was doing his pious duty, I'm sure.

Vicariously yours,


1 comment:

  1. I would love to see some of these religious tracts. You need to read my latest blog...it has a similar zealot message.

    ReplyDelete