Monday, November 9, 2015

Kangaroo meat: Doesn't taste like chicken!

Even though it's available in the grocery stores, Tyler and I hadn't had kangaroo meat until the other day when our friend invited us over for a truly Australian dinner.



Any meal with our friend and her family is delightful and they all patiently endure our endless questions about Australian culture and comparisons of Australian English to American, so we were really excited when she proposed a kangaroo steak dinner. Kangaroo meat is very lean and doesn't need more than a little salt and pepper and a little grilling to be delicious.


Kangaroos are the metaphorical deer of Australia in that they are all over the place and are often a nuisance to farmers so 'roo hunting is licensed and encouraged to cull the herd. I half expected the meat to taste like venison, but it didn't! It is best cooked medium rare and was not a game-y as I thought it would be, in fact I think it would be a great substitute for beef.

In a couple week we're going with this same friend to a wildlife sanctuary to see some LIVE kangaroos! I'm so excited to get the obligatory kangaroo selfie that everyone who visits Australia has to have.

Vicariously yours,


1 comment:

  1. Aghh!!! The deer down under! I love it. I wait on pins and needles for your stereotypical kangaroo selfie

    ReplyDelete